The Emergency Response Assistant (ERA) is the Field Officer for all Emergency Response activities in the Northern Ghana Floods. S/he is the interface between the Community Beneficiaries, the Partners and the Emergency Response Team Leader.
The ERA is responsible for supporting the quality delivery and effectiveness of CARE’s Emergency Response within the affected regions in the Northern Ghana Floods. S/he is the Field Officer of the Emergency Response Team, responsible and accountable for mobilising, organising, developing, coordinating and supporting the management of emergency activities in the field.
Key areas of responsibility of the Emergency Response Assistant will include:
- Assessment and Planning – Provide technical input to program designs and assist with preparation of community needs assessments and reports to inform program response and implementation. Lead field activities under the Emergency Response, including field assessments, data gathering, monitoring and reporting
- Emergency Project Management and Implementation – Maintain ongoing surveillance of the developing humanitarian situation in the field and update supervisor accordingly. Undertake monitoring and reporting of Emergency Response activities in accordance with program content and activity work plan.
- Public Relations/Media – Support the Emergency Response Team Leader and CO Communications and Media Officer to ensure positive coverage and the timely provision of situation reports. Ensure all information, publicity and fundraising material recognises and respects the dignity of disaster victims.
- Safety and Security – Take appropriate steps to understand individual and collective responsibilities for safety and security in the operational environment. Monitor the operational environment for possible increased level of threat and advise the Emergency Response Team Leader accordingly.
- A minimum qualification of a first degree or Diploma from a recognized University or Tertiary Institution in Development Studies, Planning, Social Studies, Statistics, or similar fields
- Requires basic finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- At least two years of field experience in working with the Private Sector, the Non-Profit Sector or the Public Sector
- Multiple local language skills applicable to the operational environment is desirable
- Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CARE. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CARE’s core values and humanitarian principles.
- Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity.
- Capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Some humanitarian aid experience will be an advantage.
- In-depth knowledge of humanitarian key sectors a plus: shelter, food security and agriculture, health, nutrition, and or water, sanitation, and hygiene.
- Some knowledge of finance operations, with ability to budget small activities, track expenditures and payments and report.
- Proficiency in the use of Excel Worksheet
Submit applications via email to email@example.com with the “Emergency Response Assistant Application” in the subject line.
- Applications will be reviewed and shortlisted on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Closing date for submission of applications is Friday, 16th October 2020.
- Applicants should be aware that CARE has zero tolerance for fraud and corruption, and toward any kind of harassment, exploitation and abuse.
At CARE, we know that recruiting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce is critical to achieving our mission of ending global poverty. CARE defines “diversity” beyond the regular classifications of gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age and disability, and includes diversity of perspectives that uphold CARE’s core values. Our goal is to create and maintain a work environment that promotes diversity in everything we do. We are also committed to creating and maintaining a safe work environment for our staff, partners and beneficiaries with specific attention to protection from sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child protection.
OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY
- Salary Offer ATTRACTIVE AND NEGOTIABLE
- Address 146 Garden Link, East Legon, Accra, Ghana
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5