The nursery specialist will be responsible for the management and production of nursery plants required to produce the planting material needed for an innovative community based renewable energy project.
- Set up the nursery sites and recommend appropriate nursery equipment and materials.
- Set up nursery greenhouse and ensure that the nursery site adheres to the most modern nursery operations available in Ghana.
- Source for parent material of the following crops: Napier grasses, Ginger, Sweet potatoes, and Avocadoes.
- Ensure timely acquisition of these materials and their safe transport to their nursery site.
- Support the procurement of nursery inputs such as substrates, PPEs, nursery accessories etc.
- Manages the labour that will be required to support nursery operations on a technology platform using mobile devices.
- Adhere to all Good Agricultural Practices regarding nursery production and ensure the planting material produced is free of diseases, insect infestation and of any noxious material.
- Produce all required planting material in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Establish and document policies and procedures that produce high quality planting materials.
- Provide accurate and timely feedback and reports to senior management on the operations at the nursery site.
- Develop metrics to measure and manage the performance and effectiveness of the nursery procedures established.
- 3-6 years’ experience in agricultural nursery management with particular interest in crops produced under vegetative propagation methods.
- A minimum of advanced Diploma in Agriculture with specialization in crop/horticulture. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated field experience in the following crops: Ginger, Avocado, sweet potatoes and Grasses or generally good knowledge of root & tubers, rhizome-based crops, tree crops or horticultural crops.
- Creative, intellectually curious and an original thinker.
- Process driven-the ends do not always justify the means for you.
- Quantitative-data makes you giddy.
- Empathetic Leader-your EQ is as high as your IQ.
- Passionate about working in a business with strong social impact.
- Passionate about innovative technology and ability to use Android based Apps with good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience managing farm labour in a rural setting is desired.
- Have a consultative approach to problem solving for clients.
- Born of the soil and have strong interest in sustainable agriculture.
- Ability and willingness to live and work in a farming community.
- Ability to speak excellent English and Akan.
- Salary Offer CONFIDENTIAL
- Address 42 RING ROAD CENTRAL ACCRA, GHANA
- Experience Level Junior