- Consultancy Summary
The consultant will lead efforts to develop guidance on the alignment and application of appropriate social and environmental safeguards in line with activities in the Cocoa and Forest Initiative (CFI) in Ghana. In November 2017, the government of Ghana and leading cocoa and
chocolate companies signed the joint CFI Framework for Action outlining key commitments and actions to eliminate deforestation from the cocoa sector and restore degraded forests in Ghana. The commitments focus on three core areas: 1) Forest protection and restoration which covers the conservation and rehabilitation of National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries, Wildlife Resource Reserves, Forest Reserves, and off-reserve forest lands; 2) Sustainable production and farmers’ livelihood which this covers sustainable intensification and diversification of production in order to increase farmers’ yields and income and to reduce pressure on forests; and 3) community engagement and social inclusion which covers social safeguards through civil society and community engagement.
In 2018, the and CFI Oversight Committee, hosted by the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, adopted the World Bank’s social and environmental safeguards to address issues impacting farmers and communities that may arise from CFI activities. Provisions are further outlined under the Ghana National Implementation Plan (NIP). The World Bank safeguards are integrated in the Ghana Cocoa Forest REDD+ Program and the National REDD+ Secretariat (NRS) has developed a country driven approach hosted on the public Safeguards Information System.
The objective of this consultancy is to provide guidance to CFI Signatories and other stakeholders on how the different safeguards are triggered and addressed as a result of CFI activities.
This position is based in Accra and will work with the Ghana CFI Program Manager and report to the Director of Environment (Washington, DC). The consultant will also work with the CFI Safeguards taskforce providing technical support to CFI Ghana. Applicants must be authorized to work in Ghana. This is a locally recruited position; no expat benefits are provided.
This consultancy is expected to last no more than two (2) months with an immediate start date.
- Develop a methodology and workplan for completion of the assignment. The methodology should identify resources, documents, and technical experts needed to complete the assignment.
- Develop a CFI Social Safeguards Guidance Document. This will be reviewed by the Safeguards task force and revised by the consultant.
- Develop a Practical Guide that will help signatory companies implement safeguards that are triggered as part of their CFI action plans. This will be reviewed by the Safeguards task force and revised by the consultant.
- Facilitate a training session on the practical guide for company focal points, CFI Safeguards taskforce members, the NRS Working group on Safeguards, and other relevant stakeholders. Produce a report including a participant list upon completion of the training.
The consultant would be required to produce the following outputs
- CFI Social and Environmental Safeguards Guidance Document
- Practical guide on implementation of safeguards document
- Training report
- Proven knowledge of the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Standards (ESS).
- Demonstrated training on and application of the World Bank Environmental and Social Standards, the Cancun Safeguards, and related national laws.
- Knowledge of the Ghana REDD+ Safeguards processes including the country-driven approach and the Safeguards Information System (SIS).
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience with at least five (5) years in the assessment, implementation, and monitoring of safeguards.
How To Apply
Candidates are requested to upload 1) a letter of interest (no more than 3 pages) describing their approach, suitability, number of days, daily rate; and 2) résumé to: https://worldcocoa.egnyte.com/ul/0pw9hrIGK7
- Include your name and the position in the title of the file.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled. No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Salary Offer NEGOTIABLE/ATTRACTIVE
- Address Boundary Rd, Accra
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 10-20